All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

the best fresh orange and cranberry scones






A second batch of those orange and cranberry scones this morning,  as I wanted to make some fresh ones up for my neighbors, and for a chef friend who wanted the recipe, as well as a taste.  As I pulled the new batch out of the oven, I realized I had overbaked yesterday's scones.  These were gorgeous!  They were both tender and full of that fresh orange and cranberry burst of tangy, but this mornings batch were much prettier.  

I also remembered a trick I had seen somewhere - grating the cold butter on a cheese grater to make it thinner and easier to incorporate with the flour mixture.  I liked that method a lot, so will use it in the future.

The recipe:

Preheat oven to 380F.
Line a baking sheet with clean foil or parchment.

2 cups King Arthur all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
good pinch of kosher salt
2 teaspoons orange zest, freshly grated
1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, grated on a cheese grater
1 small egg, slightly beaten with a fork
1/4 cup sour cream (I used Hood's full-fat)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1/2 large orange)
Optional:  1/4 cup water if mixture is too dry
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
sparkling sugar for the tops of the scones

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixer bowl.
Toss in the shaved butter and orange zest and mix briefly with a spoon.

In a small bowl, beat the egg and whisk in the sour cream and orange juice.  Add to the flour mixture and briefly turn on the mixer paddle.  Stop the mixture and add the dried and fresh cranberries and mix briefly until dough forms a ball.  Do not over mix.  If the dough seems dry, or there is still flour at the bottom of the bowl, add the 1/4 cup water and mix until cranberries are blended into the dough.

Turn out dough onto a floured board or counter.  Roll into a 7 inch circle, then slice into 8 triangles, and place on baking sheet.  

Sprinkle scones with sugar and bake for 19 minutes.

These are wonderful for your pre-Thanksgiving dinner company, and would be very pretty wrapped in cello and nestled in a basket or bowl for Christmas giving.  Very Martha:)

We've had brief flurries of snow, oddly mostly at night or very early in the morning, when it's barely light.  My hummingbird bird bath is frozen, and I imagine my little winter birds with tiny skates, taking a twirl....  have a Happy Thanksgiving!



14 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Thanks for the update..Marcy Goldman always recommends grating:-)
A lot of snow predicted for Mtl!

katrina said...

Wish I could remember where I saw that tip about grating butter, Nana. I think it's a wonderful way to keep the butter chilled until the last minute!

Rain/sleet/ice -who knows what we'll get tomorrow and the next day:) I'm staying right here with Mr. Turkey, and trying to remember to tidy up a bit. Stay warm and have a beautiful Thanksgiving!

Barb said...

I'm definitely making these for Thanksgiving - and I love the tip about grating the butter! Such a great idea - thanks for sharing it, too.

Katrina, my best wishes to you, your family and friends for a very Happy Thanksgiving!!



katrina said...

Oh good, Barb! Everyone who has tasted these, whether slightly overbaked or not, have raved about them. Your guests will not be disappointed! Big blessings for a lovely holiday - and enjoy every bite!

Nicole said...

I love that you used both fresh and dried cranberries in these. I bet they are delicious! I got fresh cranberries in my CSA box today and I was going to put them in a cake, but now I'm torn! :-)

katrina said...

Nicole - you'll love them! I use fresh and dried cranberries because I love the sharpness of fresh cranberries . Dried cranberries usually have some sugar in them, so I balance that out with fresh berries or lemon juice. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Blue Angel said...

this is my first time visiting your blog. i was directed here by a fellow foodie on facebook. I came in search for a good scone recipe and of course, you have it!
but what I didn't expect was finding a wee bit of home here. seeing the little girl cooking, your name Katrina.. and the words She's in the Kitchen and I just dropped down in my chair. for here, at thanksgiving time I found my little girl again if only in memory. She was Catrina Marie who passed when she was 10. She loved to come in the kitchen with me and bake and fill her face with flour and goodies. its been over 28 yrs since her accident .. time like snow over the ground... till I saw your blog and I had a moment of spring. I am so grateful for the serendipity of finding this blog and you. may I say Thank you and God Bless you for all that you have posted here.. if only for me to find you and come home for a time. Thank you

La Table De Nana said...

Katrina..I just made these:-)
Will tell you more soon..they smell divine..
Happy Thanksgiving...

katrina said...

What a story, Blue Angel! That little girl is me, a long time ago, but, as you said, it could be your little girl. I am also happy for the serendipity of your finding my blog, and giving you a little joy, remembering your Catrina Marie. With love, Katrina

katrina said...

Oh, Nana - wonderful! They taste even better than they smell as they bake! Sorry - I get very excited when I find a new recipe that works perfectly:)

La Table De Nana said...

Me too..and this is one of them..Delicioso!
I think mixing the OJ..sc and egg ..make a very flavorful mixture..Jacques loves them.
Thanks..Pinned..

katrina said...

So pleased, Nana!

Madonna/aka/Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

I pinned this recipe because of Nana. And I too have been bitten by the French bug. If it is French I like it too. I love Cuisine Grand-mère.

katrina said...

Madonna - I have just found your comment - apologies. I love Nana! Her posts are always opened immediately, as I sigh over her latest gorgeous photographs and delicious food, with that twinge when I think maybe this year I'll brush up on my meager French...... thank you for visiting!