All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

avocado and plum tomato salad with chive blossoms and Italian parsley






A few warm days teased us into thinking summer was here.  But the last few mornings have been chilly although checking the garden and herbs proved the chive plants like this weather, sending out fat lavender blossoms I love to nibble on.  

Most years I pick the blossoms and make chive blossom vinegar, but I found I still had plenty in the fridge from last year.  Instead I made a summer salad sprinkled with chive blossoms I plucked apart, instead of using my usual sliced red onions.  The flowers have a delightful mild oniony flavor that doesn't overpower the delicate avocado.

Even though I'm sitting down to a summer-y lunch wearing a turtleneck and jeans, I'm barefoot and thinking I just might get out my bathing suit today.  I saw several children swimming at the pond yesterday, splashing and shrieking with delight - so it can't be so cold after all.  


Avocado-Plum Tomato salad with Chive Blossoms

1 large garlic clove, sliced in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano (dried is fine if that's all you have)
4 basil leaves, sliced
6 large chive blossoms
1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley

2 large avocados
2 or 3 large plum tomatoes, cut into large dice
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Use a melon baller to scoop out the avocado ( thus avoiding the few bruised spots I found when I cut mine open) into a small bowl, sprinkle with the lemon juice and set aside.

Rub the serving bowl or dish with the cut sides of the garlic clove.  Discard the cloves.
Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, and mix well with a fork.
Add the herbs to the dressing - the oregano, basil, parsley.  Pluck the petals from three of the chive blossoms and add to the dressing.

Just before serving, add the avocado balls and the diced tomatoes to the dressing and toss very gently.  Garnish with a few chive blossoms and serve with crusty bread and butter.

Happy June!





2 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I spy a poppy too:)

We each eat 1/2 an avo every single day..how pretty you have made it:)

You know..this is my first year w/out chive blossoms and I have grass in my chives.. an impossible task to sep.the chive from the blades:(
We've had warm beautiful days..
This morning I was the mosquitoes breakfast while I weeded an area in part sun..now the humidity is gone..it's breezy and chilly!
I have my flip flops on but came in..
Yawny day..:)after all.

katrina said...

Yawny day - yes, Nana! I have been asleep on my feet most of the day in spite of the chill. If you dig up your chive plant and put in a bucket of water, you can easily pull out the grass and replant the chive plant intact. It took me years to find a solution to that!