All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Corn chowder with baby potatoes and dill




Yet another snowy day!  As I look out my office window I'm amazed at the sheer amount of snow on the rooftops of the house next door.  My roof had to be shoveled yesterday- it is an old, old house, and heat escapes everywhere, which leads to ice dams, which leads to huge leaks inside the house, which leads to crumbling ceilings.  Safe and sound and the snow is light and lovely but there really is an awful lot of it:)

Meanwhile, downstairs, I made a pot of chunky corn chowder perfect for a snow day:  chunks of baby potatoes, onions, and corn, finished off with cream and herbs. A pretty scene, and I relax with my bowl of soup, knowing the shoveling can come later, after the snow stops.


Chunky Corn Chowder with baby potatoes and dill

2 cups quartered baby potatoes
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
water to cover the potatoes and onions

Simmer the potatoes and onion until just tender.
Do not drain the water off.

Add :
2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock 
More water if necessary to just cover the vegetables

Simmer until the corn is tender, then add:

1 cup heavy cream.  DO NOT BOIL.  If you boil the cream, it will curdle.

Taste the soup and add more herbs or salt and pepper as desired.  This serves 4 .

Happy February!






5 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Same here! Same roof tops..snow again last night and today..the soup looks great!

katrina said...

Thanks, Nana! More snow.....AGAIN Sunday. Think Spring!

diary of a tomato said...

My favorite of all chowders, and an equally favorite herb — divine and just in time for the next storm!

katrina said...

Oooo, which one, Diary? Thyme (my absolute favorite) or dill , which ranks right up there:) It was not surprising to find out most chef's favorite is thyme!

I am sore in body from shoveling, and the frigid temps are so hard to live with. Carry on, as my father used to say.

Barb said...

We have a lot of snow too, but not nearly what Boston has - that is just amazing. But the truly frigid temps are pretty difficult too. I am so ready for spring (and I like winter, generally).

I think this corn chowder fills the bill for a near-perfect winter meal - yum!