All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, February 9, 2015

Tender Turkey Meatballs and the big snow





Do you remember that children's book called "Katy and the Big Snow"?  Well, we are having that kind of winter.  The path from the front door to my car has walls of snow up to my hip;  it seems like every week we have two more snowstorms, though I'm grateful the snow is fluffy and not wet, which would set us up for the dreaded ice storm.  I don't mind shoveling, but this is getting ridiculous.

I was happy to come in to a wonderful lunch I made early morning  - turkey meatballs with herbs and Trader Joe's Harvest Grains mixture, which sadly is now all gone.  The meatballs are soft and tender, not especially photogenic, but oh so delicious - and I know kids love them!  Our Izzie and Frankie never got tired of them.  

You can make large meatballs or small - I like smallish ones a little smaller than the size of a ping pong ball - this recipe made about 20 meatballs.


Tender Turkey Meatballs with herbs

a one pound package of fresh ground turkey
Place ground turkey in a large bowl and set aside

Place in food processor bowl (or finely mince by hand):
1-2 tablespoons minced leek whites
1/2 piece of bread, torn up (I used Arnold bread, but you can use gluten-free bread)
1-2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
a few pinches of fresh rosemary from my kitchen rosemary plant
2 tablespoons chopped celery plus a few leaves

Pulse briefly and add herb mixture to the turkey.

Add to the turkey and herbs:

1 large egg
a tablespoon or two of mild salsa
kosher salt and pepper

Wash your hands and squeeze mixture together, or use a large spoon to mix very, very well.
Form the mixture into small meatballs.

Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil and a little butter into a large skillet and add the meatballs on medium heat for 10 minutes, then use a spoon to roll the meatballs over and cook another 5 minutes.  I always cut one open to make sure it isn't too pink, though they will continue to cook for a few minutes after you turn the heat off.

Serve with salad and rice, grains, or noodles.

6 comments:

Barb said...

Scones & snow & yummy meatballs & snow - Oh My!

We had a big dump of snow a week ago this past Sunday but I'm sure you have so much more than we do. It is pretty and happily you say it's fluffy, but it does get tiresome, doesn't it?

I'll have to remember these meatballs and try them soon, and I love scones - they're on the list too.

La Table De Nana said...

We had about 3 inches yesterday and now we have enough..the plants have great ground cover no need to worry although prior to the last couple of weeks it was so cold w/ no cover..Time will tell..
C'est l'hiver!

I like how ambitious you are in the kitchen..I am on a salad streak for lunches:)

katrina said...

Barb - this really is getting crazy! Yes, it is tiresome. Every time I think I have time to drive to our closest "city" - the one with lots of shops and glittery things, it snows. Aurghhhh! You will love these meatballs, I'm sure!

katrina said...

3 inches, Nana? That's so, so...small. Cannot believe these storms that leave a foot of snow at a time. But, like you, I worried about the plants, and heaved a big sigh of relief once the snowfall was over five inches.

No salad for me - it's too chilly. Give me soups and warm smoothies and stews!

diary of a tomato said...

Looks deliciously warming, especially after a bout of shoveling and reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's "The Long Winter" ;)

katrina said...

Oh, gosh - it's been a long time since I read that, Diary! Must go to the library and pick it up again, I remember loving those books!
I am still shoveling:) Endlessly.